Finding peace through nature

Hot weather is just around the corner and many of us are starting to get spring fever. We start cleaning out our houses and garages and emptying out old flower pots from last year's riches, scouring and scrubbing them in preparation for new annuals or perennials. We get outside a little more now, walking or hiking at a nearby park or lake, and take in the sights of what mother nature has to offer.

The next few weeks, I encourage you to focus on the tiny miracles that occur right under our noses. Watch the trees in the backyards start to bloom and burst into their full green spirit. Celebrate the re-birth cycle! As I take a time from my own day to see each little bud appear on a tree, I am reminded life is like that little bud. I am also trying to get out a little more as each day passes...and by viewing this tiny miracle, you too can go through a form of rebirth and regeneration.

As I venture out each day, I am continually awed by how mother nature takes care of things. Bulbs that were planted last fall are starting to rise from the ground, peeking out to stretch toward rays of warm golden sunshine. Each garden center begins its quiet bustle as customers gather new seeds to purchase so they can nourish their own families with fruitful bounties later this spring, summer and fall.

While the weather warms and I can bask outside enjoying the simple, peaceful sounds and sights of nature, inspiration creeps up on me as I watch the children as they play outdoors. Young seedlings in the earth can also remind us of the freeing, peaceful energy that is so childlike. I like to see how the last leaves in the trees fall and skip through the grassy hilltops on my walks, just like a child skips through its playful mornings or afternoons. And maybe when no one is looking, I can explore a little more of nature and see through the eyes of a child...taking in its beauty and miraculous gifts it bestows on us throughout the season.

Digging hands in the earth and feeling the mud between bare fingers shouldn't be reserved for children and dedicated gardeners or farmers. It should be a therapeutic activity we all can enjoy as the sun warms our backs and the breeze tickles our noses. Whether you are planting or just remembering, nature is always with us, beckoning us to take in some of its splendor.

Next time I go out along my neighborhood trail or up on the mountains, I will be sure to bring along a trash bag to collect anything someone may have dropped...either on accident or on purpose. Just because I didn't do it, doesn't mean I can't bend down and lend a hand to mother earth in healing from someone else's mistakes. After all, I believe that if we each clean up our own little part of the world...the beauty and magic of nature will always be there for me and my children to enjoy. And that peace is worth sharing with everyone!

No comments: